Voter ID Law
New Voter ID Law to go into Effect with June 2014 Primary
Alabama voters are required to show a photo ID at the polls.
The list of valid photo IDs includes:
- A valid Alabama Drivers’ License
- A valid Non-Driver License
- A valid US Passport
- A valid ID card issued by a branch, dept. agency of the State of Alabama or the US
- A valid employee ID that contains your photo and is issued by any branch, dept. agency of the State of Alabama or the U.S. or any county or municipality.
- A valid Student ID with a photo
- A valid Military ID with a photo
- A valid Tribal ID with a photo
For those WITHOUT a current valid photo ID under the new law, you may
1. Obtain a free non-drivers ID from the Dept. of Public Safety, who will bill the cost back to the state.
2. Obtain a free voter ID from the Board of Registrars at the Birmingham Courthouse.
3. Obtain a free voter ID from one of the mobile units that will be set up by the Secretary of State.
IF you are already a registered voter, you are eligible for a free photo voter ID and may apply for the card at your local Board of Registrars or at one of the mobile sites. (Sites to be determined)
IF you are not already a registered voter, you can apply for the card at the same time you turn in your voter registration form, if you are eligible for the free card. Your form and the application for the card must be submitted in person to the Board of Registrars. They will process as long as you are qualified to vote in Alabama.
Voter ID Prior to June 2014 Primary
In the 2003 regular session, the Alabama Legislature approved, and Governor Riley signed into law, Act 2003-381, Alabama’s new voter identification law. The law was pre-cleared by the United States Department of Justice on August 7, 2003, and, therefore, will be in effect beginning with the September 9, 2003, special constitutional amendment election.
Following is a list of acceptable forms of identification under this new law. Each voter should ensure that he or she has one form of identification available when he or she goes to vote.
Questions about the voter identification requirements may be directed to the Elections Division by email or by phone (242-7210, in the Montgomery area; or statewide at 1-800-274-8683).
A. Current, Valid Photo Identification
- Government-issued photo identifications (current and valid)
- Employee identification for employee with photo of employee produced by the employer
- Photo identification card issued by Alabama college or university
- Photo identification issued from Alabama technical or professional school (current and valid)
B. One of the following
- Utility bill of voter with voter’s name and address
- Bank statement with voter’s name and address
- Government check with voter’s name and address
- Paycheck with voter’s name and address
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by the State of Alabama (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of the State of Alabama)
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by any of the other 49 states (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of that State)
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by the government of the United States of America (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of the federal government
- Valid United States passport
- Valid Alabama hunting license
- Valid Alabama fishing license
- Valid Alabama pistol/revolver permit
- Valid pilot’s license issued by the FAA or other authorized agency of the federal government
- Valid United States military identification
- Birth certificate (certified copy)
- Valid Social Security card
- Naturalization document (certified copy)
- Court record of adoption (certified copy)
- Court record of name change (certified copy)
- Valid Medicaid card
- Valid Medicare card
- Valid electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card