Declaration of Legitimation
A legitimation may be petitioned for by the natural, or biological, father of a child for the purpose of recognizing the child as his own. The natural, or biological, mother of the child must consent to the legitimation.
Instructions for Legitimation
- You must complete the necessary forms in black ink only. These forms must be obtained at the office of the Judge of Probate at the above address. These forms are not printable through JeffCo InTouch.
- The father must fill out a Declaration of Legitimation and have his signature witnessed by two people. Use full names. No initials.
- The mother must fill out a Consent and Waiver form and have her signature witnessed by two people. Use full names. No initials.
- The mother must fill out an Information Sheet completely.
- If the parents are married, the cost of filing is $27.00 in cash. No checks or credit cards will be accepted. Both parents must come in with completed forms and filing fee. Testimonies will be taken at the counter.
- If the parents are not married, the cost of filing is $35.00 in cash. No checks or credit cards will be accepted. The legitimation will be set for hearing when papers are filed and the fee is paid.
- If the parents are not married and are under legal age, a special attorney will be appointed for minor parent(s).
- We must have a certified copy of the original birth certificate supporting the State Identification Number. (These can be obtained from the Jefferson County Health Department if the child was born in Jefferson County.) This document will be kept as a permanent part of the file.
- If additional fees are necessary regarding minor parents, the final order of legitimation will not be entered until the fees are paid.
- If the child is fourteen (14) years of age or older, we must have a notarized statement from him/her expressing his/her desire and authorizing his/her consent to the legitimation.
|Probate Court – Jefferson County
Jefferson County Courthouse
716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd North
Birmingham, AL 35203
|Probate Court – Bessemer
1801 3rd Avenue North
Bessemer, AL 35020