Probate Court Of Jefferson County, Alabama

Name Change Form
















The Probate Court has the authority to change the name of any person residing in Jefferson County upon receipt of a declaration from the person whose name is to be changed.  All adult name changes are set for hearing.  The petition also includes authorization of a background check.

You will need to provide an Alabama Driver’s License or photo ID, a birth certificate, supporting marriage and/or divorce documents, and 2 proofs of residency in Jefferson County (utility bill, voter registration, deed, etc.)

The name change form does not require an attorney to file.  However, clerks are not allowed to assist you in completing the form.  Your form will require notarization, and we do not provide notary services.

Please file your petition in the appropriate division below:

Birmingham Division Residents                        Bessemer Division Residents
Jefferson County Courthouse                             Jefferson County Courthouse
Probate Court                                                        Probate Court, Room 101
716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N.                   1801 3rd Ave. North
Birmingham, AL 35203                                      Bessemer, AL 35020