Probate Court Of Jefferson County, Alabama

Name Change

Name Change
Birmingham Division Judicial Counter

The Probate Court has the authority to change the name of any person residing in Jefferson County upon receipt of a declaration from the person whose name is to be changed. All adult name changes are set for hearing. The petition also includes authorization of a background check.

You will need to provide ALL of the below (a minimum of 5 documents):

  • an Alabama Driver’s License or photo ID
  • a birth certificate
  • supporting marriage and/or divorce documents, AND
  • two (2) proofs of residency in Jefferson County. These can include, but are not limited to:
    • utility bill
    • voter registration
    • deed

The name change form does not require an attorney to file. However, clerks are not allowed to assist you in completing the form. Your form will require notarization, and we do not provide notary services.

Please file your petition in the appropriate division below:

Birmingham Division Residents
Jefferson County Courthouse
Probate Court
716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd North
Birmingham, AL 35203
Bessemer Division Residents
Jefferson County Courthouse
Probate Court, Room 101
1801 3rd Avenue North
Bessemer, AL 35020